Establishing the Ghetto
Established in February 1940, the Lodz Ghetto was the first closed ghetto in Poland. It was also the last to be completely destroyed.
The ghetto had three distinct areas, each marked out and separated by a main road. Wooden bridges, which became main thoroughfares, connected each of the sections.
Tram cars containing non-Jewish Poles from the ‘outside world’ travelled through the ghetto, but were not allowed to stop.
For the first years of the ghetto’s existence it was surrounded by barbed wire, which was later replaced by a wooden fence with several layers of barbed wire. The Lodz ghetto was guarded on the outside by a special police unit, whilst the Jewish Order Police, under Mordechai Chaim Rumkowski, kept control inside.